The views on this site are completely our own and do not represent VSO. Use the links below to navigate.

30 Apr 2011

Home at Last

My life is slowly getting back to normal. I have now visited Bangkok 3 times for varying lengths of time for the operation and checkups. My hand is getting much better and now the check ups are about what physio I need . I had the splint off on the 31st March which exposed my skinny, hairy, scarred hand to the public. I was given exercises to do and stayed in Bangkok for weekly check ups. My ring finger is already 90% back to normal but my pinkie, which was more damaged, does not look so good. At first I couldn't bend it at all but after nearly 4 weeks of exercises 20 minutes every hour for 8 hours a day, I can bend it a little bit. It's still quite swollen but I'm hoping it will be fine in the end. I can't wait to be able to put my rings back on!

Comparing my hands

The scarring is almost gone now and my hand is getting some muscle back

This is how much I can bend it. You never know how much you use your pinkie until you can't!

I have spent the last 2 weeks back at home in Kratie which I haven't been in for 2 months so it has felt amazing. I have been going into work in the mornings and had meetings with the Primary office staff about my placement. It feels like I have had a massive breakthrough as they are now really eager to work with me, rather than let me get on with stuff on my own, and I have a counterpart to work with which is great. VSO has got some funding from Canada so I spent the week going over the activities and planning out the next year with Gill, the new education volunteer at the Teacher Training College. I think it's going to be a busy year and I'm eager to get back to work properly but my hand comes first and I still have quite a long way to go (and a thousand exercises to do!) before it's fully better.

Back to Bangkok on Tuesday where hopefully the doctor will say I've made amazing progress and I can come straight back home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment